Carry the Fallen

Monday, April 6, 2015

Active Families With a Purpose


It was a full Saturday for our family this past weekend. Three of our kids and myself went to Boston to join in a group run called Run as One which included veteran support groups Team Red, White, and Blue, Team Rubicon, Mission Continues, and Wounded Warrior Project. My family is a part of Team Red, White, and Blue and we got to see many friends there and have a nice run. It was the kids' first run of the year and they really did great, especially Shea, my nearly 6 year old, who may be
coming into her extended endurance finally. It was only a 2 mile run, the girls were quite disappointed we couldn't do the 4.5 with some of the others! Saoirse, my 7 year old is definitely going to be my little running buddy soon. I got to run with my beloved rucksack and pushed my 19 month old toddler, Makayla (a.k.a Punky)

Scot, my significant other, was able to do another 20 miles with the Active Hero group, Carry the Fallen. The picture on the right top of this page is his group, Scot is front and center. This ruck had special significance due to the original leader's veteran brother committing suicide the weekend before the ruck against veteran suicide. It was a somber yet powerful ruck. The girls and I planned on meeting them part way, but due to weather and rode conditions, we decided to just wait at the finish and cheer and walk them in. It was great having the kids be a part of these great events that help veterans and help bring awareness to mental health awareness. 

The kids really wanted to get a ruck in due to missing out rucking with the team so on Sunday we went on a 3 mile "ruck" through our town with my mom and 3 dogs. Our little puppy did great but after 2 miles she called it quits and climbed into the stroller basket. You can see her little head peeking out in the picture below.


I love that not only I can have empowering weekends that I can be a part of great things, but I can also share these moments with my children and the rest of my family. I really have great people in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment